Bible Study Outlines
Volume 1, Lesson 10
by C.I. Scofield
The Creation, Part I
- The Beginning - Genesis 1:1 - "In the beginning God created"
The first verse of Genesis is dateless and timeless. It belongs to the eternity that is past. Whatever ages are required by geology are provided there.* Time begins with verse 2.
Just three creative acts are recorded: the universe (v.1), animal life (v.21), and human life (v.26,27). The rest of the chapter describes God shaping and making.
The method of creation
*Editor's Note: While the author presents an "old earth" viewpoint in this study, we encourage the diligent student of God's Word to also examine the arguments for a "young earth" view.
Return to Bible Study Outlines, Volume 1 menu
- It was the work of the Son of God
- He gave life to creation
- He sustains the creation
- Angels, including Satan, were created before the earth
- Job 38:4-7 - "Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth... and all the sons of God shouted for joy?" The angels were present to witness creation.
- Isaiah 14:9-14 - "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer... For thou hast said... I will be like the most High." Satan and the angels who followed him fell through pride and disobedience.
- Jude 1:6 - "Angels... kept not their first estate"
- The original creation was overthrown by judgment*
- Genesis 1:2 - "Without form, and void" (waste and empty)
- Jeremiah 4:23-26 - "Broken down at the presence of the Lord, and His fierce anger"
- Isaiah 24:1 - "Behold, the Lord maketh the earth empty"
- The purpose of God in creation was not defeated
- Isaiah 45:18 - "He created it not in vain, He formed it to be inhabited"
Return to Bible Study Outlines menu
Return to Resource Menu
All four volumes of
"Bible Study Outlines" by C.I. Scofield
are available in attractive 44 page printed booklets,
from the publisher:
Moments With the Book
P.O. Box 322
Bedford, PA 15522 USA
Order online at: www.mwtb.org
Go to The Book opening page.