Bible Study Outlines
Volume 4, Lesson 19
by C.I. Scofield
The Unseen King Rejected
- Jehovah, The unseen King, rejected
- 1Samuel 8:7 -- "They have rejected Me, that I should not reign over them"
The inability of the natural man to deal with the unseen truth of God often takes the form of idolatry. Israel wished for a visible king. Jehovah accepted His rejection, and still watched unceasingly over Israel.
The choice of Saul
David anointed king
- The warning
- 1Samuel 8:10-20 -- "This will be the manner of the king... that we also may be like all the nations"
- 1Samuel 8:22 -- "And the Lord said... make them a king" (see also chapters 9 and 10).
- The anointing
- 1Samuel 10:1 -- "The Lord hath anointed thee"
Constantly in Scripture, the permissive will of God is to be distinguished from His directive will. God allows man to try his own way, which invariably leads to failure and trouble.
- The failure of Saul
- 1Samuel 13:8-10 -- "Bring hither a burnt offering unto me." Saul intrudes into the priest's office (see 1Samuel 15).
- 1Samuel 13:11-14 -- "Thy kingdom shall not continue: the Lord hath sought Him a man after His own heart."
The Davidic covenant (2Samuel 7:1-17)
- 1Samuel 16:1-13 -- "Then Samuel... anointed him... and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David"
This is the covenant upon which the glorious kingdom of Christ (the seed of David according to the flesh) is to be founded (Acts 15:15-17). The Davidic covenant secures absolutely and unconditionally:
The Davidic covenant confirmed
- 2Samuel 7:16 -- "Thine house." A Davidic "house" through future generations.
- 2Samuel 7:16 -- "Thy throne." Representing royal authority.
- 2Samuel 7:16 -- "Thy kingdom." Sphere of rule.
- 2Samuel 7:16 -- "Be established for ever." Unending reign.
- 2Samuel 7:14 -- "If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him."
The covenant had one condition, chastisement if the Davidic family became sinful [wicked]. It did not mean that the covenant would end.
Return to Bible Study Outlines, Volume 4 menu
- Psalm 89:3 -- "I have made a covenant with... David"
- Psalm 89:34-37 -- "Once have I sworn... his seed shall endure for ever"
Return to Bible Study Outlines menu
Return to Resource Menu
All four volumes of
"Bible Study Outlines" by C.I. Scofield
are available in attractive 44 page printed booklets,
from the publisher:
Moments With the Book
P.O. Box 322
Bedford, PA 15522 USA
Order online at: www.mwtb.org
Go to The Book opening page.