Bible Study Outlines
Volume 3, Lesson 10
by C.I. Scofield
True Believers and Professing Believers
Ever since God has had a people of His own on this earth, they have been sorely troubled by the presence among them of those who professed to be of them, but were not. Beginning with Cain and Abel, this state of things will continue until "The Son of Man shall send forth His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity... then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father" (Matthew 13:41-43).
- The Bible recognizes believers and professing believers as separate groups
- Believers are saved
- Believers are rewarded
- Believers are encouraged
- Philippians 1:6 - "He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Christ"
- 1Peter 1:5 - "Who are kept by the power of God"
- Luke 12:32 - "Your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom"
- James 5:7,8 - "The coming of the Lord draweth nigh"
- Professing believers are lost
- Professing believers are condemned
- Professing believers are warned
- Hebrews 2:1-3 - "How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation?"
- 2Peter 2:20-22 - "It had been better... not to have known... than... to turn from the holy commandment"
- 2Peter 2:2 - "Many shall follow their pernicious [evil] ways"
- Jude 1:4 - "Ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men"
Who should judge if one is a believer or a professing believer?
- John 6:68-71 - "One of you is a devil." Speaking of Judas.
- Luke 22:31,32 - "I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not."
Both men sinned. Judas betrayed the Lord, while Peter denied Him. The difference is that Judas was never a believer, but Peter never ceased to be one.
Return to Bible Study Outlines, Volume 3 menu
- 1Corinthians 4:5 - "Judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who will... make manifest the counsels of the hearts"
Return to Bible Study Outlines menu
Return to Resource Menu
All four volumes of
"Bible Study Outlines" by C.I. Scofield
are available in attractive 44 page printed booklets,
from the publisher:
Moments With the Book
P.O. Box 322
Bedford, PA 15522 USA
Order online at: www.mwtb.org
Go to The Book opening page.