Bible Study Outlines
Volume 2, Lesson 10
by C.I. Scofield
The same Hebrew and Greek words are translated "sanctification" and "holiness." The root idea is always some person or thing which is set apart for God.
- Sanctification is positional
Sanctification is that work of Christ for the believer which sets him apart for God.
Sanctification is progressive
Sanctification is that work of God in the believer through the Spirit and the Word which progressively changes him into the image of Christ.
Sanctification will be perfected
- John 17:17 - "Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy word is truth"
- Ephesians 5:25 - "Loved the church, and gave Himself for it"
- Ephesians 5:26 - "That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word"
- 2Corinthians 7:1 - "Let us cleanse ourselves... perfecting holiness"
- Hebrews 12:7-10 - "Chastened us... that we might be partakers of His holiness"
- 1Peter 5:10 - "God of all grace... make you perfect"
- 2Corinthians 3:18 - "Beholding... are changed... from glory to glory"
Sanctification is that work of God which perfects the believer into the likeness of Christ by His appearing in glory.
Return to Bible Study Outlines, Volume 2 menu
- Ephesians 5:27 - "That He might present it to Himself... not having spot, or wrinkle... but that it should be holy"
- 1John 3:1,2 - "Now are we the sons... when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is"
Return to Bible Study Outlines menu
Return to Resource Menu
All four volumes of
"Bible Study Outlines" by C.I. Scofield
are available in attractive 44 page printed booklets,
from the publisher:
Moments With the Book
P.O. Box 322
Bedford, PA 15522 USA
Order online at: www.mwtb.org
Go to The Book opening page.